Sunday 1 April 2007

A Short Introduction

Hi Everyone, I am C. Wess Daniels. I am 28 years old, a husband, oldest of nine children and I love riding bikes. Normally I blog at gathering in light about theology, culture, technology and Quaker faith, but I've been invited to be a blogger for BYM this year as well.

I am from the U.S., born and raised in the Ohio, and currently living in Los Angeles, California with my wife of 5 years, Emily. I am currently a PhD student at Fuller Theological Seminary. There I am a student in the School of Intercultural Studies, where I am investigating our rapidly changing culture and it's effects on church life and mission from a Quaker perspective. Another aspect of Quakerism I am looking into is how older church traditions transition from one culture into another. Both topics I feel to be crucial in our ever shifting cultural landscapes.

The reason why I am coming to England this summer is to do a directed tutorial with Quaker scholar Ben Pink Dandelion at the University of Birmingham. I will be living at Woodbrooke Quaker Study Centre during my stay and am really looking forward to meeting all kinds of wonderful new people.

Because I have been blogging quite awhile I've had the chance to make some Quaker friends in the U.K., namely Simon and Jez. Simon and I have been friends online for almost two years now and has been a big part in helping me come out to Birmingham for my study. When he heard that I was for sure coming in the summer he urged me to try and align my visit with BYM so I could attend. Not only did that work out but John Fitzgerald and Jez ended up inviting us to blog for the event.

I am really looking forward to the opportunity to participate in the community life of European Quakers and anticipate loads of new experiences, tons of learning and I expect to make a some friends in the process!

2 comments:

kathz said...

oldest of NICE children! If that's a typo it's a very happy one. I hope you enjoy your visit I'll be reading your posts.

Unknown said...

that is definitely a typo! It's nine, if only we were all nice.